Many of us spend money on accounts to file our income tax return. But Indian government has made easy to file tax return online. This article with step by step guide will help you to e-file the tax return for fast and easy processing. If you are already experience in tax return simply go ahead start follow the steps. If you are not experienced then take help from others who used online method. Better would be if you don’t have to get any money back or you need not to pay then go ahead for e-filling.
Following simple step by step method for income tax e-filling
- To start with register your login id and password at the income department’s tax e-filling website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in To create the login id you need your PAN Card or pan card information. PAN card number acts as your login id.
- Next step you have to download the related income tax return form for individuals listed in the website. If your only source of income is salary or pension then go to the ‘Downloads’ menu and choose ITR-I, Select the current assessment year as 2012-13.
- Open the downloaded excel utility ITR-I File. If you are using Microsoft word Office 2003, then go to Tools >; Macro Security, set the security level at ‘medium’ and enable macros while opening the excel utility.
- Then enter all the details required in the document. All the required information is available in your Form 16.
- Next step is to validate the same by hitting the ‘Validate’ key. An XML sheet will be generated and saved on your computer. The registration process (Step 1) can also be initiated at this stage.
- You can upload this XML file on to the I-T portal after selecting AY 2012-2013 and the relevant form. You will be asked whether you wish to digitally sign the file. If you have obtained the digital signature, select yes. Otherwise choose ‘No’.
- If a message regarding successful e-filing is flashed on your screen, you can consider the process to be complete. Your ITR-Verification form will be mailed to your registered e-mail address.
- Now, you need to do is to get a print-out of the ITR-V in black ink, put your signature and send it by ordinary post to the following address within 120 days of filing your returns on-line. Income Tax Department-CPC, Post Bag No-1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore – 560100, Karnataka
- It is important to ensure that your income tax return reaches above mentioned office within 120 days, failing to which, you will have to go through the process all over again and you will lose the time or you will not get money back or you have to pay interest if you owe.
- If you do not receive an acknowledgement from the I-T Department in due course, you can send the form again.
Hope the above steps help you to do e-filling. For all the posting use ordinary post from government and never use courier services as it will not be accepted by income tax department. Let us know your online income tax filing experience in the comments.